Monday, July 27, 2015

Boy Scout at their Jamborees - Do you have a gay leader?

What does a boy have to do, to try to find a Boy Scout troop who will accept his father who is gay, even though the troop is far away and not at his school or religious institution?

The new decision by the Boy Scouts of America to allow troops to discriminate if they claim religious exemption will cause just those problems.

"What does that do to folks like me?" asked former Boy Scout leadership team member Jon Langbert, who is openly gay and says he gave up his leadership role when other fathers complained. "If I want to participate with my son, do I now have to start ringing up on the phone and calling around to different troops and saying, 'Do you guys discriminate, or am I a first-class citizen in your troop and I can join?' "

"It creates a bit of a mess when you don't have one global policy for the Scouts," Langbert added, noting that the national organization allows gay adults as employees. "When you have one branch of an organization doing one thing and another doing another, it creates a lot of stress for folks like me, and I don't think it's sending the right message to the boys, either."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/27/us/boy-scouts-gay-leaders-feat/