Thursday, April 25, 2024

Miltary Behind Times in Disability Awareness

Hanna Cvancara, a nurse, exceeds the military fitness tests, as she can do double the number of push-ups required, and has finished the timed 1.5-mile run with minutes to spare. However the military will not let her join because she has a prothetic foot. 

While there is no specific rule barring amputees from serving, in practice, that caution has meant routinely rejecting amputees.

Ms. Cvancara recently applied to the military once again, to join the Air National Guard. And in case she is rejected once more, she is working with her representative in Congress, Cathy McMorris Rodgers, to pass a bill called the Hannah Cvancara Service that would create an exception to allow amputees to join the military as medical personnel.

“My whole life, no one ever told me I couldn’t do anything I wanted to, until I tried to join the military,” she said. “I don’t want to be treated like I’m special. I just want to be treated like everyone else.”

 https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/25/us/amputee-military-nurse-hannah-cvancara.html?referringSource=articleShare