Monday, June 6, 2016

Boys Will Be Boys on the Stanford Swim Team

A steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action’: Dad defends Stanford sex offender Brock Turner.

From the victim: “You have dragged me through this hell with you, dipped me back into that night again and again. You knocked down both our towers, I collapsed at the same time you did. Your damage was concrete; stripped of titles, degrees, enrollment. My damage was internal, unseen, I carry it with me. You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my safety, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today.”

We can only imagine how much longer than six months in jail and three years probation sentence would have been if the assaulter would have not been a white male Stanford student, but, instead, lower on the race, gender, and private/public university/college hierarchies.  After all, the judge who gave the sentence, Aaron Persky, was once a Stanford student like the assaulter. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/06/a-steep-price-to-pay-for-20-minutes-of-action-dad-defends-stanford-sex-offender/