Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Feminism - Men, For Your Benefit Too

The Harry Potter and Bling Ring actress Emma Watson gave a speech on gender equality at the U.N. recently. She is launching her new initiative, HeForShe.
In seeking to get men to listen that feminism should be their issue too, she said,

"Gender equality is your issue too. Because to date, I've seen my father's role as a parent being valued less by society despite my needing his presence, as a child, as much as my mother's. I've seen young men suffering from mental illness, unable to ask for help, for fear it would make them less of a men—or less of a man. In fact, in the U.K., suicide is the biggest killer of men, between 20 to 49, eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease. I've seen men made fragile and insecure by a distorted sense of what constitutes male success. Men don't have the benefits of equality, either."

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/emma-watson-delivers-stirring-speech-at-u-n-204442194.html