Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A Billion Dollars not Enough in a "Top 1%" Divorce Settlement

Though we don't dispute that maybe she is not getting her fair share, Ann Arnall, 56, refused a $974.8 million divorce settlement check saying that the amount is too small. She is the ex-wife of a billionaire oil tycoon and former hubby Harold Hamm — CEO of the energy company Continental Resources. She is demanding more money because he was allowed to keep the bulk of his $13.5 billion fortune.

If we in the other 99% have a hard time perceiving just how much the other 1% has, here is a good example to remind us. The accompanying question is, of course, why do Republican lawmakers keep insisting the top 1% doesn't have enough and need even more tax breaks.